Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Bob Costas is the man

Sunday was the Packers "bye" which apparently means I can't think of much to write about.  That and I've been pretty busy with work and stuff, but fortunately PBS played the second have of Ken Burns 10th Inning of "Baseball" last night.  I am now finding out what happened in the past decade of the sport.

The reason I titled this post the way I did is because it is true.  Sports writers and journalists tend to use hyperbole, exaggeration and over excitement a lot to get their points across and make names for themselves.  I was barely born when he started broadcasting football, baseball, & basketball for NBC in the 80s, but I have a feeling that he didn't gain respect with ridiculous catch phrases and yelling over everyone else in the room.  Whether it is the Olympics, Football Night in America, his work for MLB Network, or a 15 second interview with Ken Burns he manages to deliver an intelligent commentary on the subject.  He is critical when he needs to be, but not disrespectful.  And he offers a sense of perspective that is often overlooked.   And since I am running out of things to say (maybe I am trying to be concise and profound like Bob... or not) here are a couple clips of great Bob Costas moments:

The 1996 Olympics Opening Cermony  Most people probably know what is memorable about this.  The Greatest. (Video is 8 minutes long... skip ahead to about 5:45 if you want)

Costas on Bonds  I've said before I am not one to harp on the steroid users of the 90s-00s, but Costas really has a perspective on the situation which was much more realistic than most other Baseball Writers of America at the time.  Now that the Mitchell Report came out everyone likes to act all high and mighty; Costas had it figured out long before that.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah. Intelligence goes far.

    My favorite sportscaster is Larry McCarren.
    I think for many of the same reasons you like Bob.

    He knows his stuff. And he has the finger to prove it. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what really confuses me???

    Why is John Gruden aka Chucky so sickeningly sweet now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watch a lot of the Larry McCarren stuff on Packers.com and I really appreciate his work more than ever now that I don't see it all the time. The rumor on why Gruden is so nice as an announcer is because he wants to get back in as a coach in the NFL and doesn't want have ripped anyone that might be his player someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When Mickey Mantle passed away, Bob Costas spoke at his funeral. After watching the live broadcast my husband said to me "Please get Bob Costas to speak at my funeral". I told him I would see what I could do.

    ReplyDelete