Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Nothing important happened today...

OK so I guess since I am a blogger now (yikes) I should respond to comments.

First of all, the queen of blogging, My Mom, directed everyone here and looks like we got some good chatter in the comment section.  I'm glad to see people were interested in this year's World Series.

Secondly, I (Patrick Jr) have written all the posts so far.  At some point, when he is not changing diapers and working like crazy, Matthew (Asher's Dad) will probably contribute.  Miz Boo is really hoping we can collaborate on a brothers themed sports blog (maybe with a name not quite as lame as "sports plus" at some point), so we'll see.  Anyways, thanks to everyone for your comments on how wonderful my nephew is.

Cheryl - I'm not really a Boston basher.  I respect the Patriots, Celtics, and Red Sox.  I actually cheer for them in a lot of series, especially vs teams like the Yankees, Lakers, and I was really hoping the 07 Pats would have went 19-0.  I just get sick of the East Coast media bias.  Some people like to say it doesn't exist, but lets be realistic.  Yankees vs. Red Sox in June gets more coverage on ESPN than then the World Series.  That was my main point there.  Like Sandy C. said, even in a documentary they seem to get more coverage than anyone else.

The thing about the Giants winning this year that everyone is talking about is how they were able to win without any huge stars, especially on the offensive end.  The one thing I haven't heard anyone say yet is that this is such a contradiction to the '02 team (with Barry Bonds) that lost to the Angels.  I am not a Barry Bonds basher and someone who likes to act holier than thou when it comes to steroids and that whole era of baseball, but it is fitting that the first team to bring a championship to San Francisco is a group of selfless guys and exceptional pitchers rather than hulking sluggers with inflated muscles and egos that just crank the ball out of the ballpark.

As far as the Favre situation is concerned I don't bash Brett or begrudge him for continuing to play.  I'm not thrilled about it, and losing to him and the Vikings twice last year was brutal.  But if I was 40 years old and someone wanted to pay me 16 million dollars to do what I loved, with minimal commitment to the organization, why not?  It is not his fault, it is Vikings management's, and even more so, head coach Brad Childress's fault.  You do not give a professional football team the impression that one player out of 53 is the key to your season, and that is what they have done two straight years with Favre.  They are getting what they deserve this year.  Do I think the Packers will win the Super Bowl this year? Probably not, but at least I know the coach & team have one goal in mind and are in this together.

Also, I have changed the design of this for now per the advice of Shelby who tells me the black/white is too hard to read.

6 comments:

  1. It's so blue collar. Hoosiers even.
    It's a fine thing when the old fashioned, good, hard play wins.

    " I am not a Barry Bonds basher and someone who likes to act holier than thou when it comes to steroids and that whole era of baseball, but it is fitting that the first team to bring a championship to San Francisco is a group of selfless guys and exceptional pitchers rather than hulking sluggers with inflated muscles and egos that just crank the ball out of the ballpark. "

    As a writer. That sentence is remarkable. I wish I could write a sentence like that! Where did you learn to write like that? Dickens?


    So glad you got a lot of comments!
    Don't worry about offending. I'm sure the Quiet Life crowd was just teasing ya :o)
    They are a great group!

    And I love the new design. Shelby was right ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patrick... nice to meet you~ (sorry about the Matthew mix-up, I had Asher on the brain)
    I do think those of us on the East Coast lose sight of the fact that there is a world west of the Mississippi. Not a good thing... but think about it, ocean, mountains, Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics and Bruins... just kidding!!!
    I, too, love the fact that San Fransisco won without a superstar. It hurt just a bit that Edgar Reneria was MVP considering his time in Boston was rather lackluster.
    I am now waiting to see what happens with Mr. Moss. Ironically, I am watching The Today Show and they are discussing good manners... and edicate. Wondering if that had something to do with Randy's semi-demise.
    PS I am not offended by any sports discussion... love the banter!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my god, i can't believe it's happened. i guess it only makes sense that you write a blog seeing as everyone you know has one, too.

    too bad it's about baseball which i find to me so incredibly boring. why don't you just write about your daily life? now that would be entertaining. i would love to read stuff like, "GET SERIOUS!" or "deez" or "that's what I'm talking about." Seriously, I would.

    I'm hoping a detour to Omaha is on your agenda for your Christmas back home. Because this is pretty much home to you in all reality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so much easier to read and more appealing, too. I'm glad you root against the Yankees! :)
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Patrick, you write like your Mom...she sent us here. I really can't say that I am a sports fan, but I love to read well written blogs...I can add yours to my list!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mom:
    I think I just write what I am thinking, then look back at it and see what I said and correct a few grammatical things, etc. It can be hard to translate your thoughts to paper (or a box on a computer monitor...) but I guess that's just how I go about it.

    Holly:
    I'm sure I could definitely make a blog about my life and random thoughts, etc. I guess when I am sitting down to ramble on about my thoughts it is much easier to pick a topic than to just go off on stuff. I guess that it was twitter & facebook are for.

    ReplyDelete